Monday, August 17, 2015

Chance's due date . . . How we spent August 15, 2015

Chance's due date has come and gone and I am so thankful for all we shared as a family that day. This past Saturday was a day full of love and peace and joy and lots of laughter. A few tears were shed, but even those were mostly stemming from a place of thankfulness. God had his hand all over August 15, 2015. There is just no other explanation.

Saturday we spent the morning making a visit to the hospital where I delivered. We had put together a basket of baby boy goodies, all products and items we enjoy using, and decided to give it away to a family that welcomed a baby boy that day. This is something I felt God nudging us to do for several months, and thought it would make our Chance proud and would be a special way to honor him.


The closer we got to the hospital the more nervous I became. I was so excited to pass on our basket to a new family, but was also a little anxious entering the same halls where we last left empty handed.


The four of us, all decked out in blue, approached the nurses station and I asked if my sweet Reena, the nurse who was with me the day I delivered Chance, was working. She was not, but as a result we spoke to two of the sweetest nurses you will ever meet. I briefed them on our story, that today was my actual due date, and in honor of our son we wanted to pass on a little gift basket to a family welcoming a baby boy. The nurses began to tear up and so (of course) I did as well.

But these tears felt different. These tears were coming from a sadness yes, but also from a deep place of peace and hope and overwhelming love. The two angels disguised as nurses assured us they would pick the perfect family and let us know they would be thinking of us and praying for us as the day continued. We meant to have them take our family picture, but in the midst of the sweet emotion, we forgot. But that is ok. We will always have that moment etched into our memory.

While walking to the car Brandon and I were both smiling from ear to ear. We kept telling each other "That was really, really good. I am so glad we did that." We could both feel our hearts bursting with joy.

After leaving the hospital we drove to the cemetery where Chance is buried. We knew we could not let the day pass without making a visit. As we approached his grave site I noticed a little something laying next to his marker.

"Brandon. What is that? I think someone put something on his grave. Did you do that? Because I didn't."

Once we were out of the car and approaching his spot I continued. . .

"Brandon. . . someone did this for us! Someone knew we would be coming and in their thoughtfulness planned ahead to bless us, by remembering and acknowledging today for what it was supposed to be." 

Sunflowers and a hand written note from our sweet friends. Such a sweet gesture and moment that again, will be forever etched into our memory.


We attempted a few pictures with the girls next to their brother, but that wasn't happening (because toddlers). So I then jumped in to "hold them down" and we got a few good ones of all the girls ( I use the term "good" very loosely).




The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing at home and taking naps (Brandon and the girls), visiting a friend who just had a new baby (me . . . of course tearing up because goodness. . . life is just such a precious, amazing miracle), and getting a well deserved manicure/pedicure (me obviously,  although I hear gentlemen's pedicures are a big hit these days?).

The evening was spent enjoying barbecue, peach cobbler, and fellowship with good friends. So thankful for these people and deep cords of friendship. The perfect way to end the perfect day.







A huge thanks to all of you who emailed, called, or texted on Saturday just to let us know we were on your heart and mind. Knowing other people have not forgotten Chance brings warmth to our hearts. The day could not have been more perfect.

Thank you, Jesus, for bringing sunshine after the rain.

You turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy. Psalm 30:11
.........................................................................................................................................

P.S. The little cuties who were responsible for helping bless us with the flowers and card at the cemetery. Love them and love their hearts.


10 comments

  1. Many hugs and prayers!!! What a wonderful way to spend his due date, and thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many hugs and prayers!!! What a wonderful way to spend his due date, and thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it was a perfect day full of honoring sweet Chance :) I really, really love that you brought the basket of goodies to the hospital for another family - such a touching gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many sweet surprises/moments on a special day honoring your baby boy! And I bet whatever family got that basket of goodies was so honored to be a part of the story... another reminder of how God can turn something heartbreaking into something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your precious gift idea, the flowers were such a sweet gesture, and especially love that I got to spend the evening with you! BFF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah! Balling as I read this. Your story just continues to point to Him and bring Him glory. What an amazing God we serve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful way to celebrate your son!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, what a perfect way to celebrate Chance. The gift basket sounds like SUCH a beautiful tribute. And your sweet friends at the cemetery!! I'm so glad it was a healing day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like the perfect way to spend the day. The basket was such a sweet & thoughtful way to celebrate your sweet Chance! Know that had to have meant the world to the recipients.

    ReplyDelete

© A Joy Renewed. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.